General Information: Yarrow also known as 'Milfoil' is a perennial weed
and is a common weed on all types of lawns and turf in the UK. It has deep fibrous roots and can
withstand droughty conditions. It spreads by creeping stems which root at intervals.
Leaf: Yarrow leaves are fern like feathery appearance. The leaves give of a
fragrance if rubbed or crushed.
Flower: Yarrow flowers are visible from June to October, producing a cluster of
small white flowers.
Preferred habitat: Yarrow prefers nutrient deficient, dry and sandy soils.
Yarrow is often an indicator that your lawn is suffering from a lack of nutrition.
Control: Hand weeding may be practical if there are only a few plants. Regular
mowing will help prevent Yarrow from flowering and producing seed. Keeping the lawn in a healthy
condition by increasing the soil fertility will help suppress Yarrow.
For a large infestation of Yarrow a selective herbicide will have to be used to eradicate this
weed. Yarrow can be a difficult weed to effectively control with chemicals as it is moderately
resistant to many selective weed killers. Choose a product from the recommended weed killer list
below for Yarrow. More than one application will be needed for successful control of this weed.
For amateur gardeners it may even be advisable to employ a lawn care professional (of which
there are many) to tackle this weed. They should posses the relevant pesticide application
certificates, therefore they will have access to professional products which will be more effective
against Yarrow than amateur products.
|More Yarrow images (click to enlarge)
Recommended selective weed killers for amateur gardeners for the control of Yarrow in
lawns and turf.
- Verdone Extra (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Westland lawn weed killer (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
- Westland lawn feed, weed & moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed + moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Doff lawn spot weeder (2,4-D, mecoprop-p& dichlorprop-p).
Recommended selective weed killers for lawn and turf care professionals for the control
of Yarrow in lawns and turf.
- Scotts Praxys (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & florasulam).
- Scotts Intrepid 2 (dicamba, dichlorprop-p & MCPA).
- Barclay Holster (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D and dicamba).
- Mascot Crossbar (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D & dicamba).
- Mascot Super Selective (mecoprop-p, MCPA & dicamba).
For more info on weed killer treatment please go to our weed
control page. Before you apply any chemicals read the instructions and adhere to the
manufactures recommendations and health and safety guidelines.
<< Return to lawn weed