General Information: One of the most recognisable weeds in lawns and turf.
White Clover is a perennial weed and is very common on lawns throughout in the UK. This low growing
weed has creeping runners that travel along the surface and can quickly colonise a lawn and choke
out the grass in a short period of time.
Leaf: The leaves are divided into three leaflets with a whitish band near the
base of the leaf.
Flower: The flowers can be seen between May and October. The flowers are white
or pinkish in colour and more often than not grow above the leaves.
Preferred Habitat: White Clover prefers nutrient rich, moist soils. It does not
like dry and shady sites.
Control: In most cases chemical control will be needed to control white clover
as it is difficult to dig out by hand unless there are very few plants. You should, choose one of
the recommended selective weed killers shown in the list below, a further application about 6 weeks
later may be needed for clover. Aim to treat White Clover during late May or early June when growth
is strong for the best results. Visit our weed control page for
advice and information on the application of selective weed killers. Once the weed has been removed
or controlled the bare area can be filled with a mixture of suitable soil and grass seed to aid
|More White Clover images (click to enlarge)
Recommended selective weed killers for amateur gardeners for the control of White Clover
in lawns and turf.
- Verdone Extra (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Westland lawn weed killer (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
- Westland lawn feed, weed & moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Westland Resolva lawn weed killer (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed + moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Vitax lawn clear (fluroxypyr & mecoprop-p)
- Doff lawn spot weeder (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
- Evergreen Complete (MCPA, mecoprop-p).
- Evergreen feed + weed liquid (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba) includes a
Recommended selective weed killers for lawn and turf care professionals for the control
of White Clover in lawns and turf.
- Scotts Praxys (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & florasulam).
- Scotts Intrepid 2 (dicamba, dichlorprop-p & MCPA).
- Scotts Re-act (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Barclay Holster (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D and dicamba).
- Headland Cabadex (florasulam & fluroxypyr).
- Mascot Crossbar (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D & dicamba).
- Mascot Junction (florasulam and 2,4-D).
- Mascot Super Selective (mecoprop-p, MCPA & dicamba).
- Vitax Esteem (2-4,D, MCPA and clopyralid).
When applying chemicals to lawns always follow the manufacturers application & health and
safety guidelines for the best results.
Verdone Extra Lawn Weed Killer
Verdone Extra is the ideal product for the control of common lawn and turf
weeds. This lawn weed killer will control broad leaved weeds such as Daisy,
Dandelion, White, Clover, Lesser Trefoil, Plantains and many more making it a
popular choice amongst gardeners and lawn care enthusiasts.
This broad spectrum weed killer contains 3 ingredients fluroxypyr, clopyralid
& MCPA which makes it suitable for a wide range of weeds found in garden lawns
throughout the UK.
The chemical is diluted with water and is applied to the lawn with a either a
sprayer or watering can. This pack contains 1 litre of Verdone Extra which is
enough to treat an area of 667 sq/m or over 700 sq/yds.
For the best results Verdone Extra should be applied when the weeds are actively
growing during the spring and summer. Avoid applying weed killers during times of
turf stress, such as drought and frost. More Info
<< Return to lawn weed