General Information: Ribwort Plantain also known as Narrow leaf Pantain is
a common weed on all types of lawn throughout the UK. This perennial weed develops a large fibrous
root system making it very drought tolerant.
Leaf: Ribwort Plantain has dark green leaves that are a long, narrow and oval
shape, they have distinctive ribs and fine hairs.
Flower: The flowers of this weed can be seen from April through to October. The
short flowers are formed on a short spike and are bourn on a long stem.
Preferred habitat: Ribwort Plantain can often be an indication that you have a
soil compaction problem as they like alkaline dry and compacted soils.
Control: Hand weeding is ideal if there are only a few plants, taking care to
remove all of the root or the weed will regenerate again. Regular mowing will help prevent seed
head formation thus prevent spreading. Reducing soil compaction with aeration will help encourage a
healthy sward and discourage Ribwort Plantain.
If you have a widespread problem chemicals will be needed. Like other Plantains it should not be
a difficult to remove, therefore most selective weed killers available should deal with this weed.
Treat again 6 weeks later if necessary, but one application should suffice.
|More Ribwort Plantain images (click to enlarge)
Recommended selective weed killers for amateur gardeners for the control of Ribwort
Plantain in lawns.
- Verdone Extra (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Westland lawn weed killer (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
- Westland lawn feed, weed & moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Westland Resolva lawn weed killer (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed (2,4-D & dicamba) includes a
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed + moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Vitax lawn clear (fluroxypyr & mecoprop-p)
- Doff lawn spot weeder (2,4-D, mecoprop-p& dichlorprop-p).
- Evergreen Complete (MCPA, mecoprop-p).
- Evergreen feed + weed liquid (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba) includes a
Recommended selective weed killers for lawn and turf care professionals for the control
of Ribwort Plantain in lawns and turf.
- Scotts Praxys (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & florasulam).
- Scotts Intrepid 2 (dicamba, dichlorprop-p & MCPA).
- Scotts Re-act (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Barclay Holster (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D and dicamba).
- Headland Cabadex (florasulam & fluroxypyr).
- Mascot Crossbar (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D & dicamba).
- Mascot Greenor (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Mascot Super Selective (mecoprop-p, MCPA & dicamba).
- Vitax Esteem (2-4,D, MCPA and clopyralid).
Selective weeds killers should be applied when the weeds are actively growing. This is usually
between April and October avoiding periods of drought.
When applying chemicals to lawns always follow the manufacturers
application recommendations for the best results and the health and safety guidelines for your own
Verdone Extra Lawn Weed Killer
Verdone Extra is the ideal product for the control of common lawn and turf
weeds. This lawn weed killer will control broad leaved weeds such as Daisy,
Dandelion, White, Clover, Lesser Trefoil, Plantains and many more making it a
popular choice amongst gardeners and lawn care enthusiasts.
This broad spectrum weed killer contains 3 ingredients fluroxypyr, clopyralid
& MCPA which makes it suitable for a wide range of weeds found in garden lawns
throughout the UK.
The chemical is diluted with water and is applied to the lawn with a either a
sprayer or watering can. This pack contains 1 litre of Verdone Extra which is
enough to treat an area of 667 sq/m or over 700 sq/yds.
For the best results Verdone Extra should be applied when the weeds are actively
growing during the spring and summer. Avoid applying weed killers during times of
turf stress, such as drought and frost. More Info
Return to lawn weed identification page