General Information: The Dandelion is a common perennial weed that forms a
large flat rosette and it has a long stout tap root. It is very common all types of lawns, turf and
Leaf: The Dandelion leaves which have many health benefits are lance-shaped and
hairless, they have deep downward sharp pointing teeth and can grow up to 25cm in length. The
leaves grow in a flat rosette formation which smother and kill the grass beneath.
Flower: The single yellow flower grows on top of a smooth stalk and can be seen
from March to November. The flowers eventually turn into thousands of air and wind bourne seeds.
See pictures below.
Preferred habitat: The Dandelion is a perennial weed that can tolerate a wide
range of soil types and conditions. It particularly likes nutrient rich soils with a high pH.
Control: Hand weed is practical if there are only a few plants, however it is
very important that all of the tap root is removed to prevent the plant from re-growing.
For a widespread infestation of dandelions a selective herbicide will have to be used. Use one
of the recommended selective weed killers shown in the list below and repeat again 6 weeks later if
necessary, however in most cases a single application is usually enough to completely control this
weed. We have further help and advice on our weed control page
regarding the application of selective weed killers.
|More Dandelion images (click to enlarge)
Recommended selective weed killers for amateur gardeners for the control of Dandelions
in lawns and turf.
- Verdone Extra (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Westland lawn weed killer (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
- Westland lawn feed, weed & moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed + moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Doff lawn spot weeder (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
Recommended selective weed killers for lawn and turf care professionals for the control
of Dandelions in lawns and turf.
- Scotts Praxys (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & florasulam).
- Scotts Intrepid 2 (dicamba, dichlorprop-p & MCPA).
- Scotts Re-act (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Barclay Holster (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D and dicamba).
- Headland Relay (mecoprop-p, MCPA & dicamba).
- Headland Cabadex (florasulam & fluroxypyr).
- Mascot Crossbar (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D & dicamba).
- Mascot Greenor (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Mascot Junction (florasulam and 2,4-D).
- Mascot Super Selective (mecoprop-p, MCPA & dicamba).
- Vitax Esteem (2-4,D, MCPA and clopyralid).
When applying weed killers it is important to follow the manufacturers recommendations and
health and safety measures at all times.
Verdone Extra Lawn Weed Killer
Verdone Extra is the ideal product for the control of common lawn and turf
weeds. This lawn weed killer will control broad leaved weeds such as Daisy,
Dandelion, White, Clover, Lesser Trefoil, Plantains and many more making it a
popular choice amongst gardeners and lawn care enthusiasts.
This broad spectrum weed killer contains 3 ingredients fluroxypyr, clopyralid
& MCPA which makes it suitable for a wide range of weeds found in garden lawns
throughout the UK.
The chemical is diluted with water and is applied to the lawn with a either a
sprayer or watering can. This pack contains 1 litre of Verdone Extra which is
enough to treat an area of 667 sq/m or over 700 sq/yds.
For the best results Verdone Extra should be applied when the weeds are actively
growing during the spring and summer. Avoid applying weed killers during times of
turf stress, such as drought and frost. More Info
<< Return to lawn weed