General Information: The Creeping Buttercup is a low growing perennial
weed which prefers wet heavy soils. It is a common weed in lawns in the UK. Creeping Buttercups
spread with vigorous creeping stems that run along the ground rooting at intervals with a very
fibrous rooting system. Buttercups can be an indication that there is a drainage problem with your
Leaf: Creeping Buttercup leaves are divided into three lobes that are toothed
and their surface can be both smooth or hairy.
Flower: The yellow flowers have 6 to 9 petals each, measure 2-3cm in diameter,
are bourne on erect stalks are can be seen between April and August.
Preferred Habitat: Buttercups generally prefer wet, heavy soils that have poor
drainage and can withstand long spells of water logging.
Control: If there are only a few plants, hand weeding is the preferred method
of control, however take care to remove all of the root. A close mowing program will help remove
any flowers which in turn will prevent this weed spreading.
If however they have spread into larger patches, chemical control will be necessary using a
selective weed killer from the list below. In most cases more than one application will be needed
for successful control of Creeping Buttercup. Our weed control
section has advice and tips on all aspects of weed killer application. Once the weed has been
removed or controlled the bare area can be filled with a mixture of suitable soil and grass seed to
|Please click to enlarge the Creeping Buttercup
Recommended selective weed killers for amateur gardeners for the control of Creeping
Buttercup in lawns and turf.
- Verdone Extra (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Westland lawn weed killer (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
- Westland lawn feed, weed & moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Westland Resolva lawn weed killer (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed + moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Vitax lawn clear (fluroxypyr & mecoprop-p)
- Doff lawn spot weeder (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
Recommended selective weed killers for lawn and turf care professionals for the control
of Creeping Buttercup in lawns and turf.
- Scotts Praxys (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & florasulam).
- Scotts Intrepid 2 (dicamba, dichlorprop-p & MCPA).
- Scotts Re-act (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Barclay Holster (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D and dicamba).
- Headland Relay (mecoprop-p, MCPA & dicamba).
- Headland Cabadex (florasulam & fluroxypyr).
- Mascot Crossbar (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D & dicamba).
- Mascot Greenor (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Mascot Super Selective (mecoprop-p, MCPA & dicamba).
- Vitax Esteem (2-4,D, MCPA and clopyralid).
Always read the product label and follow the manufacturers application and Health & Safety
guidelines when applying selective weed killers.
Verdone Extra Lawn Weed Killer
Verdone Extra is the ideal product for the control of common lawn and turf
weeds. This lawn weed killer will control broad leaved weeds such as Daisy,
Dandelion, White, Clover, Lesser Trefoil, Plantains and many more making it a
popular choice amongst gardeners and lawn care enthusiasts.
This broad spectrum weed killer contains 3 ingredients fluroxypyr, clopyralid
& MCPA which makes it suitable for a wide range of weeds found in garden lawns
throughout the UK.
The chemical is diluted with water and is applied to the lawn with a either a
sprayer or watering can. This pack contains 1 litre of Verdone Extra which is
enough to treat an area of 667 sq/m or over 700 sq/yds.
For the best results Verdone Extra should be applied when the weeds are actively
growing during the spring and summer. Avoid applying weed killers during times of
turf stress, such as drought and frost. More Info
<< Return to lawn weed