General Information: Bucks-horn Plantain is very
common on coastal sites where the soil is very sandy and free draining. This weed is also
known as Starweed. Bucks-horn plantain is a perennial plant and can tolerate close mowing due
to it's flat rosette and low growing habit. It has a long tap root and can be a major problem
where favourable growth conditions apply.
Leaf: The long thin leaf which can be smooth or hairy has irregular toothed
edges. See picture to the left.
Flower: Bucks-horn plantain flowers can be seen from May to October. Flowers
are typical of plantains with a short spike that is bourn on a short stalk.
Preferred habitat: As previously mentioned this weed is very common on dry,
sandy coastal sites especially those made from Cumberland turf.
Control: Hand weed is possible if there are only a few individual plants,
taking care to remove the tap root. Like most weeds Bucks-horn Plantain can be discourage by
maintaining a healthy turf vigour. Regular mowing will help prevent the seed heads from
For a large infestation a selective herbicide will have to be used. Choose one of the
recommended selective weed killers listed below for the most effective results against this weed. A
single application us usually enough to control this weed, however apply 6 weeks later if
necessary. Our weed control page has many tips on applying selective
|Please click to enlarge the Bucks-horn Plantain
Recommended selective weed killers for amateur gardeners for the control of Bucks-horn
Plantain in lawns and turf
- Verdone Extra (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & MCPA).
- Westland lawn weed killer (2,4-D, mecoprop-p & dichlorprop-p).
- Westland lawn feed, weed & moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Westland Resolva lawn weed killer (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba).
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed (2,4-D & dicamba) includes a
- Vitax green up lawn weed & feed + moss killer (2,4-D & mecoprop-p)
includes a fertiliser.
- Vitax lawn clear (fluroxypyr & mecoprop-p)
- Doff lawn spot weeder (2,4-D, mecoprop-p& dichlorprop-p).
- Evergreen Complete (MCPA, mecoprop-p).
- Evergreen feed + weed liquid (MCPA, mecoprop-p & dicamba) includes a
Recommended selective weed killers for lawn and turf care professionals for the control
of Bucks-horn Plantain in lawns and turf.
- Scotts Praxys (fluroxypyr, clopyralid & florasulam).
- Scotts Intrepid 2 (dicamba, dichlorprop-p & MCPA).
- Barclay Holster (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D and dicamba).
- Mascot Crossbar (fluroxypyr, 2,4-D & dicamba).
Selective weeds killers should be applied when the weeds are actively growing. This is usually
between April and October avoiding periods of drought.
When applying chemicals to lawns always follow the manufacturers application recommendations for
the best results and the health and safety guidelines for your own safety.
Verdone Extra Lawn Weed Killer
Verdone Extra is the ideal product for the control of common lawn and turf
weeds. This lawn weed killer will control broad leaved weeds such as Daisy,
Dandelion, White, Clover, Lesser Trefoil, Plantains and many more making it a
popular choice amongst gardeners and lawn care enthusiasts.
This broad spectrum weed killer contains 3 ingredients fluroxypyr, clopyralid
& MCPA which makes it suitable for a wide range of weeds found in garden lawns
throughout the UK.
The chemical is diluted with water and is applied to the lawn with a either a
sprayer or watering can. This pack contains 1 litre of Verdone Extra which is
enough to treat an area of 667 sq/m or over 700 sq/yds.
For the best results Verdone Extra should be applied when the weeds are actively
growing during the spring and summer. Avoid applying weed killers during times of
turf stress, such as drought and frost. More Info
<< Return to lawn weed